Iranian FM Refutes US Claims on Syria's Use of Chemical Weapons
خبرگزاری Fars News , 9 Sep 2013 16:15
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif dismissed Washington's allegations about the Syrian government’s use of chemical weapons, and said proofs and evidence show that the Takfiri groups fighting against President Bashar al-Assad’s government have access to such weapons
TEHRAN (Asremrooz):Zarif made the remarks in a meeting with Former Iraqi prime minister and head of the Iraqi National Alliance Ibrahim Jafari in Baghdad on Sunday.
“There is a lot of information indicating that Takfiri groups have access to chemical weapons,” the Iranian foreign minister said.
Zarif pointed to Iran and Iraq as victims of chemical weapons, and said, “No one can teach a thing to the Iranian and Iraqi nations about fighting chemical weapons.”
“We can in no way accept that a war breaks out in the region under the pretext of the chemical weapons use for the victims of this war will initially be the Syrian nation, people of the region and other countries that are encouraging and fueling war with their short-sightedness,” the Iranian foreign minister added.
Jafari, for his part, pointed to the status quo in Syria and the possible military strike on the Muslim country, and said, “No international organization could come to realize who used chemical weapons …”
The Iranian foreign minister arrived in Baghdad on Sunday to meet senior Iraqi officials on bilateral ties and regional developments, specially the Syrian crisis.
Later in the day, Zarif met with Iraq's Acting President, Prime Minister Nouri Al-Maliki, Parliament Speaker Osama Nujaifi and Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari.
Tensions rose higher in the region after US rushed to dispatch its warships toward Syria, threatening to bomb several areas in the country, based on conflicting reports of an alleged chemical attack in the country.
The US-backed militants posted pictures and videos of an alleged chemical attack two weeks ago, which they claimed the Syrian army was responsible for.
The Syrian government, which had already called for UN action against several cases of chemical attacks by anti-Syria militants in the country, rejected the claims as baseless and paved the way for a visiting UN team of inspectors to investigate the story.
Syria says the attack was actually carried out by the foreign-backed militants to open way for their western and regional supporters to attack Syria.
Despite the killing of at least 100,000 people in the massive insurgency in Syria, the US is intent on joining the conflict
News link: http://asremrooz.ir/vdcfctdv.w6djya7riw.html